Skin care and beauty has always been a challenging routine for everyone to maintain. From a little dryness of the skin to a small pimple, even the slightest noticeable change can cause a big concern for us. The new normal lifestyle has elevated the concerns even further. With a prolonged period of wearing masks, humid weather conditions and exposure to heat and sweat, an ideal environment is formed on your skin for oil and bacteria to build up. It can lead to clogged pores, rashes and acne and worsening of other pre-existing skin conditions.
Therefore, the importance of a proper skin care routine is now more relevant than ever. And a skin care routine is not just limited to acne-fighting and applying sheet masks. It is more and it is different from one skin type to another.
The variety of beauty products available today needs no new introduction but what needs to be addressed is the confusion that prevails over such products to decide on the right product for your age or skin type and how to go about your skin care in general. This skin care routine guide takes care of that and explains the deal
How to figure out your skin type?
This is the first and foremost thought that should be considered before jumping onto the bandwagon of beauty care products. If your skin tends to get a little greasy or shiny, it is the sign of an oily skin. If the skin feels dry or flaky, it is a dry skin and if it is both dry and oily depending on the places, it is a combination skin. And if your skin carries none of these characteristics, it is a normal skin.
Where to start?
The basics of skin care like cleansing, toning and moisturizing are always the right idea and the first place to begin with. You should cleanse your skin and then moisturize it every morning and night.
Cleanse: It is the first and the most important step of the game to keep the skin clean and free from dust and grime. The cleanser should be always based on your skin type. A normal skin is good to go with any basic face wash with fruit extracts. For combination and oily skin a gel-based face cleanser will work best. And for the dry skin, a moisturizing and creamy face wash is a must.
The Steps to clean your face: Wet your face with cold water and massage your skin with the right choice of cleanser. After washing it off with cold water gently pat your skin with a towel.
Toner: A toner helps to get rid of excess oil from the skin and clear out the pores. Therefore, this step is to be followed only by those who have oily and normal skin. If you have dry skin, skip this step. For others, select an alcohol free toner and take about a teaspoon on a cotton ball and then gently rub it all over the skin.
Moisturize/Sunscreen: Proper hydration is essential for the life of your skin and this requirement of the skin is not fulfilled by just drinking enough water. Therefore, the use of moisturizer is important to ensure the right amount of water reaches the surface of the skin. A light day cream is a good fit for normal skin while gel-based moisturizers are the perfect match for oily skin. The same choice should also guide the selection of sunscreen which should be used during the day hours.
Detailed Day Regime
The day skin care routine is about taking preventive and protective measures from exposure to the outside environment. This is why cleansing, moisturizing and sunscreen are essential. Apart from these, some other steps to be taken are –
Antioxidant serum: It will protect the skin from unstable molecules commonly known as free radicals and help improve texture and firmness of the skill. A few drops should be patted on the face and neck. You cannot slow down the passage of time but you can certainly reduce the fine lines, dark spots and wrinkles if taken proper care of.
Drinking collagen supplements: Collagen provides the skin with a structure, strength and a natural glow. In collagen supplements the protein is broken down for the body to absorb it easily. It helps reduce skin ageing by reducing dryness and wrinkles.
Eye cream: Eye cream helps in brightening and smoothening the area under your eyes that are naturally thinner and sensitive. The first signs of aging are visible in this area that is why eye cream is essential to reduce it.
Face oil: Best suited for dry skin, face oil should be applied after moisturizer to keep the skin moist. Oils are lightweight and therefore, they should come before moisturizer. A few drops squeezed onto the fingertips is sufficient for dabbing it gently onto the face
Detailed Night Regime
The night care routine is focused on repairing the damage done in the day. Therefore, thicker products are used. Apart from the steps mentioned above the following can be used:
Exfoliator or clay mask: This process should be applied to remove dead skin cells and absorb excess oil from the skin. It is best suited for night to remove the dirt the skin had been exposed to during the day and soak up the other products used. After leaving it on for the recommended time, the face should be rinsed with warm water and pat dry.
Night cream or sleep mask: The rich moisturizing elements in night creams help in cell repair and sleep masks with hydrating ingredients help to keep the other products used on the skin intact overnight.
Food plan for a healthy skin
A special consideration of your diet must be also taken into account for the overall health of the skin.
1. Drink sufficient water – It helps to keep the skin hydrated and provide a glow to it. Water also acts as a natural detox that purifies the body from toxic within.
2. A healthy diet of seasonal fruits and vegetables – Watermelon, oranges, cucuments are great sources of Vitamin C which is also an important antioxidant. It helps in decreasing the effects of skin aging and keeps the skin fresh.
3. A balanced diet: Special consideration of the diet must be followed, maintaining a proper intake of nutrients and proteins and fiber rich products.
4. Avoid spicy and sugary food: High sugar molecules are responsible for making the skin age prematurely and artificial sweeteners contain fructose and aspartame which can reduce the natural life of the skin. Unhealthy fats from spicy foods and fast food can compromise the natural elasticity of your skin.
5. Drink herbal tea: Green tea/herbal tea once or twice a day can give a boost to antioxidants in the body and prevent radical activity responsible for causing marks of ageing and wrinkles in the skin.
6. Drinking collagen supplements: Collagen provides the skin with a structure, strength and a natural glow. In collagen supplements the protein is broken down for the body to absorb it easily. It helps reduce skin ageing by reducing dryness and wrinkles.
Importance of Collagen for the skin
Collagen is a naturally produced body protein and also a supplement and beauty product which improves the protein count on your skin.
1. As the body starts producing less collagen starting in your thirties and forties, the supplement helps to gain the naturally lost skin health back. If it is added to the diet, it can provide the ability to the body to produce collagen on its own.
2. It is easy to digest and a great source of protein. It is a comfortable way to increase protein intake as chicken or beef are hard to digest. The process of hydrolyzing allows for collages to use in everyday foods like water or smoothies
3. It also promotes the production of other proteins in your body and helps smoothen the wrinkles developed as a sign of aging and boost the elasticity of the skin.
This is where the andMe Plant Based Collagen Booster Supplement for skin comes in. It is made from over 20 Real, Nutritious, Plant-based wholefoods with ingredients chosen to help support the body’s own collagen production. A certified organic and plant based supplement, the key ingredients are 24K Gold Flakes, Pearl Powder, Sea Buckthorn, and Hyaluronic Acid. Not only skin, but it also helps in nail growth and strengthening to reduce the frequency of broken nails and the amino acids help in building hair proteins and strengthening the skin that contains your hair roots. It also prevents hair follicle damage.
So, if you want to help keep your skin in healthy and good condition to maintain that forever glow, a well planned skin care routine is a must. Afterall, it is about taking the best care of yourself for yourself. Only when you care for your skin, will your skin take care of you.