7 Home Remedies For Irregular Periods
The periodic changes in a woman’s body is associated with monthly bleeding and that is not the same for every woman.
This cyclic change is called as menstrual cycle. Basically, it is the shedding of the inner lining of the uterus that is given out by the body as menstrual blood.
There are 4 phases of menstrual cycle in 1 month:
- Bleeding phase (day 0-8)– The beginning phase. this may last up to 8 days
- Follicular phase (day 9-13) – In this phase, there is proliferation of uterine walls and stimulation of certain hormones
- Ovulation phase (day 14) – This is the phase of fertilization
- Luteal phase (day 15-28) – In this phase, the lining of your uterus normally gets thicker to prepare for a possible pregnancy. This lasts till the end of the every cycle and before the bleeding phase of the next.
However, these days don’t coincide every month. For a healthy woman, period dates don’t vary much but for some it may differ every other month. For some women the period cycle may exceeds the normal length (i.e. more than 35 days) and for some women, the cycle maybe shorter than normal (i.e. less than 15 days).
Why there is irregularities in the menses?
Things we do in our everyday life and the activities we perform have a great impact on our cycle. Some of the reasons for irregularity are:
- Lifestyle and diet
- Thyroid Disorder or any other hormonal condition may lead to delay periods
- Stress and anxiety
- PCOS, one of the most common causes of irregularities which is a multifactorial and polygenic condition accompanied by excessive production of androgenic hormone.
Are there any side effects of irregular periods??
Yes, there are side effects! Some of the visible side effects of irregular periods are:
- Weight gain -Irregular periods leads to detoxification of the our body being irregular inturn accumulating different types of toxins in the body and as a consequence, defines low metabolism followed by weight gain.
- Infertility– Delayed periods may result in infertility sometimes. It’s just that ovulation occur, only difference is ovulation days vary.
What can we do at home to regularize our periods?
Home remedy number 1:
- Exercise regularly– if you are regularly working out then chances of irregular period reduces and the weight can be maintained.
Home remedy number 2:
- Yoga– Yoga has really magical effect beyond you can imagine because it has a lot of benefits both on our body and mind. Some asanas maintain metabolism whereas some impact blood circulation hence improving regularity in our menstrual cycles.
Home remedy number 3: Fruits
- Pineapple – has anti-inflammatory properties and so it helps reduce period pain. It also has a unique property to make uterine wall lining pliable thus easing menstruation.
- Unripe papaya– helps in uterine muscle fiber contraction and also reduces the pain. Take small cubes of papaya on empty stomach every morning.
Home remedy number 4– Spices
- Turmeric– It is the Golden Spice of all Indian spices. It has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing period pain. It regulates the period by balancing the level of hormones in body. Consume this as golden milk with the addition of jaggery.
- Ginger(adhrak)– it reduces inflammation by relieving menstrual cramps and effectively maintains both heavy and scanty bleeding. Grate ginger in a small bowl, and mix honey and you can have it in a spoon. You can also make tea with it’s addition or can add in the curry.
- Cinnamon(dal chini)– it has many good properties in rejuvenating the body like reducing weight to anti-inflammatory effect. Either add cinnamon powder to your milk or to boiling water and tea .You can also add in your curries for add aroma and flavour.
- Sesame seeds (til) – it is a common ingredient in many cuisines. For irregular periods it is taken because it induces the bleeding phase of the menses. Include in your diet just before the expected dates. Either add some seeds in your khichdi or roast the dry seeds and take with jaggery.
Home remedy number 5– Aloe vera
Aloe vera aids in menstrual irregularities if the same is taken prior to the expected starting dates. Cut the aloe vera leaf and take fresh gel out, mix a teaspoon with the 3-4 drops of honey in it. Try to take this mix before breakfast. Do not take this during period. It is a gel based application which makes the skin, acne free.
Home remedy number 6- Jaggery(Gud)
It helps in initiating bleeding phase and making blood flow proper. You can take in your diet in many ways like add to your milk. Other ways are mentioned in above remedies.
Home remedy number 7- Asparagus(Shatavari)
It is the herb which cures an array of medical complications. Mostly it is used for women in solving various hormonal issues. It balances the hormonal level thus reducing mood swings, relieving stress and anxiety, also helps in fertility issues.